Students with Learning Disabilities
Welcome to Breakaway Test Prep’s office for students with learning disabilities and/or attention disorders. Rachel Erickson is the director and lead instructor for students with learning disabilities. Together with her team, Rachel works with students from across the metro area from western Wisconsin to the western suburbs of Minneapolis. We work with students who have a range of learning disabilities, including dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, executive functioning disorders, attention disorders (ADHD), processing disorders and anxiety issues.
Rachel works with students of all levels on all subject areas of the test. In addition to ACT prep, Rachel is a full-time educator, working as a high school language arts teacher for students with a wide range of learning differences including dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, executive functioning, attention disorders, and processing issues at a small private school in the Twin Cities. Rachel is a graduate of St. Olaf College and holds a master’s degree in Learning Disabilities from the University of St. Thomas. She lives in St. Paul with her husband.
In 2011, Rachel played an essential role in helping Breakaway launch the Twin Cities’ first and only ACT test prep options specifically designed for students with learning differences and attention disorders. Rachel customized Breakaway’s proven program of test prep to specifically target the needs of students with learning disabilities and attention disorders. Today, Rachel and her team of instructors who have an expertise in LDs and attention disorders work with several hundred students each year and help those students realize their potential and find success on the ACT.
Breakaway instructors for students with learning disabilities have been trained on all commonly tested concepts, critical time management strategies and essential test-taking techniques to help bring success on the ACT to their students. In addition to their expertise with the ACT, Breakaway instructors for students with learning disabilities bring an advanced understanding of learning issues and attention disorders to their work with students, allowing them to modify their instructional approach to best meet the needs of each student. Instruction covers all sections of the ACT – English, math, reading, science and writing.
Breakaway Test Prep for students with learning differences and/or attention disorders includes all of the following:
- One-on-one instruction for the ACT with an instructor who brings an expertise in both ACT instruction and learning issues and attention disorders
- Comprehensive reviews of critical concepts and test-taking techniques for all sections of the test, along with specific, customized strategies for grammar, math, science and writing
- A proprietary and proven study guide that provides thorough overviews of each section of the test, including key concepts, hundreds of sample problems and critical insights about test-taking and time-management strategies
- Access to more than 40 practice ACTs and SATs
- Access to Breakaway’s practice tests at held nearly every weekend of the year at our testing center at 3440 Beltline Blvd. in St. Louis Park; for students who qualify, Breakaway offers extended time testing at every practice test
- Convenient lesson times and locations; instructors are available weekdays after school and on weekends
- The cost for private instruction is $125/hour. There is a separate, one-time fee of $100 to cover the cost of practice tests and materials.
To register or to learn more about Breakaway’s private instruction for students with learning disabilities and/or attention disorders, please contact Rachel Erickson, Breakaway’s director for students with learning disabilities, at [email protected] or 218-201-2615.