SAT prep now ONLINE with Breakaway
For more information on the PSAT, please click here.
Please note that during the Covid-19 crisis, Breakaway will provide private instruction online via Zoom or other similar online platform.
While Minnesota has always been an “ACT-friendly” state, thousands of our students take the SAT each year as well. While arguably a more difficult test, the SAT offers students who may struggle with the time constraints of the ACT a distinctly different test-taking experience. In roughly the same amount of time as a full ACT exam, the SAT asks students 60 fewer questions than an ACT, giving students about 25% more time to solve the test. The SAT, which was completely redesigned in 2016, returned to its historical scale of 1600 points which is comprised of a reading/writing and a math score. The evidence-based reading and writing section is a combined section that includes both a 65-minute, 52-question reading section plus a 35-minute, 44-question writing (grammar) test. The math section includes both a 25-minute “no calculator permitted” section with 20 questions, and a 55-minute, 38-question math section in which calculators are permitted.
Since the SAT’s redesign, we have certainly noticed an increased number of similarities between the ACT and the SAT, including a nearly identical grammar section, an overlap in the range of math concepts tested, from basic algebra through geometry, algebra II and trigonometry, and similar tests of reading comprehension. However, for its part, the SAT remains less time-constrained than the ACT, though the SAT makes up for its more “relaxed” pace by offering generally more challenging questions across all sections of the test.
Breakaway offers a comprehensive program of test prep for students who wish to prepare for the SAT. Private SAT instruction with Breakaway includes the following:
- Comprehensive reviews of all commonly tested concepts in grammar, algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry and other advanced math topics
- Critical test-taking and time management strategies for all sections of the test, including the reading, writing, math (with calculator) and math (without calculator) sections
- A proprietary and proven study guide that provides thorough overviews of each section of the test, including key concepts, hundreds of sample problems and critical insights about test-taking and time-management strategies
- Access to more than 30 official SATs
- Access to Breakaway’s proctored practice tests held nearly every weekend of the year; during the Covid-19 crisis, practice exams are held ONLINE via Zoom
- Convenient lesson times and locations; instructors are available seven days per week, day times and evenings
- The cost for private instruction is $125/hour. There is a one-time $100 fee for materials and practice tests.
Breakaway is pleased to offer private instruction in various convenient locations across the metro area.
- To learn more about prep in Edina, St. Louis Park, Minneapolis and Minnetonka, contact Ron Michalak, Breakaway’s president, at [email protected] o
- In Eden Prairie, Chanhassen and Chaska, please contact Matt McManus, Breakaway director. at [email protected]
- In St. Paul and St. Paul suburbs, please contact John Kingsbury, Breakaway director, at [email protected]
- In Wayzata, Mound and Orono, please contact Lori Wormald, Breakaway director, at [email protected]
- In Maple Grove and the northwest suburbs, please contact Barbara Jeffers, Breakaway director, at [email protected]
Ready to get started? Click here to register for a practice test. Or, if you’d prefer to arrange a call to discuss your student and how Breakaway could help, please click here to complete an inquiry form, or call Ron Michalak, Breakaway’s founder, at 612-216-5133.